Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Scratching my head......

Veteran Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter switched from the Republican to the Democratic Party on Tuesday, saying he has found himself increasingly "at odds with the Republican philosophy."
"This is a painful decision. I know I'm disappointing many of my colleagues," he said at a news conference announcing the move. "The disappointment runs in both directions. "I'm putting principle at the top of the list," he added. The switch puts Senate Democrats one vote shy of a filibuster-proof majority of 60 seats. They can reach the 60-seat mark if Al Franken holds his current lead in the disputed Minnesota Senate race. "As the Republican Party has moved farther and farther to the right, I have found myself increasingly at odds with the Republican philosophy and more in line with the philosophy of the Democratic Party," Specter said. "In the course of the last several months ... I have traveled the state and surveyed the sentiments of the Republican Party in Pennsylvania and public opinion polls, observed other public opinion polls and have found that the prospects for winning a Republican primary are bleak." Specter, a five-term Senate veteran, was facing what most political observers believed would have been a tough fight for the Pennsylvania GOP Senate nomination in 2010.

2 comments:

Andrew Rodriguez said...

So what do you think, it's cool that he went to the Democratic side, uncool to leave the Republicans? Where do you stand?

Rozita said...

I don't think it's cool! But people do what they need to do for themselves. I believe he did it for selfish reasons. I don't believe for one moment that he is a Democrat. People switch parties for all sorts of reasons it doesn’t mean you will all of a sudden vote with that party primarily. I switch parties so that I could take part of the caucus during the election last year. In Colorado you have to be registered in the party of the caucus you want to participate in. He knew he would most likely not be re elected in 2010 as a Republican. If those were his intentions then it was a smart move on his part for a personal gain.